At last post we were expecting extreme weather. Thursday the trip to take grand daughter to pre-school rewarded us with 3 rainbow segments.
At one point it was very vivid and a near perfect arc with the end settled in the valley. This was the first morning rainbow I have ever seen. It was accompanied by falling temperatures and increasing wind. It rained until late in the day when it turned to a wintry mix. Parts if the state experienced tornado activity and a lot of damage east of the mountains.
This was Friday morning’s greeting and it snowed off and on all day Friday. There was snow on the mountain above us, just a dusting on the farm. It never warmed more than a few degrees above the prior night’s low 30s. Again last night, it was near freezing, but today it is sunny and in the low 60s. The wind isn’t as strong as the past 48 hours, but it hasn’t fully subsided. It was a good day to get that chick pen fencing done. They did fine the past couple of cold nights in the unheated garage with a single mother table to warm them. The brooder tub is much too small for their rapidly growing little bodies and they need to be moved soon. By midweek, the days will be in the mid 70s, the nights in the upper 40s to low 50s and the chicks will be at least 5 weeks old. If a makeshift gate to their pen can be completed, they will be moved to Huck’s coop.
There is enough fencing left to make some sort of gate. A hawk cover needs to be added before they can be turned loose in the pen. But they will have to spend at least a week in the closed coop to acclimate to their new, though temporary home before they can be given freedom of the run. Once they are too large to get through the welded wire fence of the run, they will be relocated to the main coop and the old hens and Mr. Croak will be moved to the large cull coop. I am thinking about moving the old birds this week and thoroughly cleaning the main coop, roughing up the run and planting it with the cover crop to get some green growing in their before the chicks move in. The run could probably benefit from 5 or 6 weeks of no traffic and the oats, field peas, and vetch would grow quickly in there, it was a portion of the garden with good compost soil and it has lots of natural fertilizer that they have provided.
If the weather holds, the lower garden and the chicken run will be broken up with the long handled cultivator and the cover crop sown tomorrow and Monday. The warm week and midweek rain should get a good start on the spring cover growing.
There are still some aisles in the garden to be mulched with cardboard and spoiled hay and plenty of cardboard still in the garage to use.
Evenings have been spent planning a vacation trip now that our passports have been renewed and back in our possession. Hopefully, this will become an annual event.
This week, we scored two 10th row center aisle tickets to see Arlo Guthrie in concert in July. This prompted a weekend plan and reservations made for a quick get away.
Loving life on our farm and the return of spring.