Olio: a miscellaneous collection of things.
Last week as we sat down to dinner, the hayman came and began brush hogging the hay that was too weedy and frost burned to bother cutting for hay. He has a much larger tractor and a 10 foot mower deck to our 5 foot deck. Ours has seen better days, the post on the rear of the deck had become so distorted in shape, think hour glass that it had worn out the post for the trailing wheel, which was pretty worn out itself. Our blacksmithy friend brought his tools over, cut the old post our and welded in a new one then we went and bought a new trailing wheel. The first time the tractor was to be started, the battery was dead and the repair guy came up, diagnosed and replaced it, then when we set out for the first time this past spring, the three point attachment to the mower sheared or lost a pin, resulting in another trip down the mountain to the Equipment Repair shop for a hand full of the pins. Since the fields get hayed in the spring and since we bought a riding lawn mower for around the house, the brush hog sat on the back of the tractor most of the summer. It was taken off to put the grading blade on the tractor for driveway repair, but was reattached to the tractor last week. Hubby brush hogged the upper part of the property while I mowed the lawn and did some fencing.
The hayman left at dark and then it rained for three days and he hasn’t been back. We have had a couple of beautiful brisk, sunny fall days, so this morning after chores and breakfast, I set out to finish the upper fields on our tractor.
In progress, but look at that sky.
And some hints of color in the woods finally.
Finished upper fields.
After lunch, Hubby took off for what might be one of his last rides of the season on the BBH (Big Bad Harley) which he finds as his zen time and I took off on the tractor to the lower field for my zen time. Some of the spring hay is still sitting baled in that field which was to prove to be an obstacle course and after about 4 trips around the perimeter of the field, I realized that the mower wasn’t cutting. It had sheared the pin that holds the PTO to the mower and turns the blade. Down the mountain again to the Equipment Repair Shop for a new pin and back to use two huge wrenches to tighten the nut on once it was in place and back to the field. About a quarter got finished before the weld on the new post or the post itself failed and the trailing wheel fell off. No more mowing, maybe ever with this beat up old brush hog. I guess the hayman is going to have to finish it this fall.
Last night was gorgeous and the rescheduled Spirits of the Wilderness Road event was held. The spirits came out and portrayed their characters to visitors riding in a horse drawn carriage. Initially I was collecting donations and helping in the colonial kitchen serving hot cider and helping guests make corn husk dolls and besums. As it began to get dark, the spirit portraying Mary Draper Ingles got cold (she is a 90 year old spry gal) and was taken home, so I donned her role and did double duty for the last couple of hours.
The percherons were a beautifully matched pair of males, Prince and Pete. They aren’t related, but matched in size and color and worked well pulling the carriage.
With winter coming on and knowing that there will be days when the hens either can’t be let out because of extreme cold, or won’t come out because of snow, I tackled a project making a 5 gallon no waste feeder for inside their coop.
It has taken them a few days to figure it out, but they can feed when they want and can’t toss it all over the floor of the coop. Now I need to figure out how to keep liquid water in there in freezing weather, there is no electricity over there so I can’t put a heated bucket in the coop.
Part of this week was spent on Cabin Crafted business as there are a few Saturdays coming up where I will be set up vending.
Tomorrow was going to be spent finishing the mowing as it is the last decent day for a while, but with the mower down, the fencing will probably get done instead and the garlic planted if I can find enough sound cloves from this year’s crop to plant. This crop seems to have been hit hard with the little worm that bores in and desiccates the cloves, each bulb in storage is at least half damaged. Perhaps I should skip planting garlic and onions for a year and see if I can get that problem under control.