Failure is a learning event. A reminder to pay more attention. A lesson. One of yesterday’s batches of soap was started in the morning, then left abruptly to go to the bank, run errands, get lunch. That shouldn’t have been a big deal as the lye water had not been added to the melted butters and oils and nothing had been stirred. Cool oils and lye water work just fine. But . . . in my haste and inattention, I left one of the oils (about 28% of the oil) out. When I poured the lye water, mixed for the correct recipe into the oils and butters, it became thick very, very quickly. So quickly that stirring the essential oils in was challenging. I couldn’t figure out why, but poured it into the mold and cocooned it in a towel to saponify. This morning the two molds made yesterday and the two from the day before were un-molded to cut into bars for curing and that batch when cut was hard , crumbly , and it burned my hands a bit while cutting it. While tossing this around with a soap making friend this morning, I realized that I had left out the oil and thus my caustic batch of soap that can’t be used for personal use, but it can still be used.
I make my own laundry soap, a mixture of Washing Soda, Baking Soda, and my own grated soap, so a solution was handy, except that I just made a gallon of laundry soap, about 125 loads worth for two people washing only a couple loads a week. Since I am about to set up shop at Heritage Day, I bought some pretty blue canning jars, grated up the soap, mixed up the batch and put it in the jars.
Six 3+ lb jars of HE safe laundry soap that will do about 32 loads of clothes each. Maybe it will sell. I need to figure out what the market will handle as a price though.