Change is in the wind and boy oh boy has there been some of that recently. Unfortunately, it has taken out the power several times for anywhere from a few minutes to 9 hours and the start and failure have taken a toll on our appliances. The 11 year old appliances are not as sturdy as they were new and the microwave with stove vent failed. It has been ordered and will be installed soon. The most used burner on the stove top failed once and elder son shifted the back small one forward then replaced the back one when the one we ordered came in. The front one has failed again (it is actually an original as we moved it) and another replacement has been ordered. The big scary one though is the refrigerator. Each time the power goes out for more than a blink, it doesn’t come back on. At first it was just a few minutes, then a couple hours, now it is staying out for more than half a day. The contents get shuttled to the old basement fridge and I even called for repair once, but it came back on before they could come and unlike a car, it can’t be diagnosed if it is working.
But that is not where this post is going. The Cabin Crafted Soap and Yarn shop has been seriously short on product since the Holiday Markets in November and December, followed by a vending weekend at a Spinning Retreat and no real effort had been made to alleviate that situation. Spring and summer give me plenty of opportunities to spin at Historic Smithfield Plantation but vending opportunities are few. Spinning as a demonstrator at our Community Open House has been scheduled in May, but that is not a vending opportunity, though sometimes a skein or two of yarn is purchased. A couple of days ago, a young intern from Smithfield who is a local high school student reached out to me to participate in her high school’s Heritage Day event in May as a historical demonstrator and I am allowed to also vend without paying a booth fee by participating. It is a month off and it take soap a month to cure, so the cool windy days have keep me out of the garden and inside making preparation.
First on my agenda was to finally build the display stand for knitwear, for which the materials were purchased more than a month ago and they have been on the garage floor.
It was measured, cut, and assembled on Sunday and today, it got the first coat of polystain.
It is going to need to be sanded down with steel wool or superfine sand paper as the dowel cross pieces roughened with the stain and a second coat applied, maybe tomorrow.
Next up to resupply soap and all 4 soap molds were put to use with 4 different soaps made to cure for the month. That is 36 bars of soap.
Lavender; Cedarwood/White Thyme/Rosemary; Citrus all vegan soaps and Goat Milk/Oatmeal/Honey. They will be unmolded and cut to cure tomorrow. When son made me the wooden molds, daughter in law asked if I wanted silicone liners and I said no but wish I hadn’t as folding the parchment or butcher paper to line them is a challenge for me. Today I ordered a very thin silicone baking mat and I am going to cut it to line the sides and seal the pieces with a tube of silicone caulk to make unmolding them easier.
My other project is one that has niggled me for a while. The shop name is Cabin Crafted Soap and Yarn, the logo is an ink drawing of the main part of our log home drawn by our very talented daughter in law. The display sign is natural wood slats with black wood letters. All of this suggesting rustic, but my table covers have been a green paisley Indian cotton bedspread that was cut and hemmed and my display boxes are wooden shadow boxes that were painted on the outside with a pale mint green color and that wasn’t in keeping with the theme, especially if I am vending in costume as a demonstrator. With our local JoAnn’s store having a major moving clearance sale, I decided to purchase enough unbleached duck cloth to make two table covers and some acrylic paint in “Melted Chocolate” color to paint the shadow boxes.
The feel is more natural and more rustic with the wooden sign, pecan stained wood display, and reed baskets trimmed with dark leather (probably pleather) for the yarn, if follows the theme better.
The very young clerk who assisted me was told the plan was to make covers for two 24″ X 48″ tables. We discussed the fact that the width of the fabric was only 42″ so I decided to double it and just seam up the middle. so that it hung down over the table. I left her to cut while I went to pick up the paint and foam brushes and returned to pick up my fabric and pay out to leave. Upon getting home to work on it, I realized that she not only did not calculate enough fabric to hang off the ends if I cut it to give me front and back drop, she didn’t even give me seam allowance to hem the ends and still cover the 48″ length. I decided that the backs of the tables didn’t really need drop as I generally store my crates under the table from the back and used the extra to allow side drop. I guess I should have done my own calculations. She said she was getting off shortly to go to her afternoon classes at the Community College. I hope she isn’t majoring in math or fashion.