A Week On and Off the Farm

We have had wonderful weather for the past week.  The sky has been mostly clear, the temperatures mild and seasonable during the day and cool enough for a quilt under the open window at night.  The garden, except for the peppers is winding down.  Friday afternoon, the grandkids helped me dig the sweet potatoes.   We picked a basket of 3 pounds of tomatillos, and another of peppers.

20161014_173417[1] 20161014_173420[1]


The peppers are drying or pickling, depending on the type.  The tomatillos have been washed, husked, and frozen.

I planted two varieties of sweet potatoes,  purple and  orange.  The bed wasn’t the most ideal spot, it was too rocky, and the yield was amusing.




The largest and the smallest.  The 1 pound box of spaghetti is for size reference.  I think that one will feed us all for a meal.  They are curing and will be moved to the cellar soon. This week is mostly supposed to be pleasant, so I think it is time to cut down and mulch the asparagus, pull the tomato vines, cut down the sunflower stalks, and prepare a bed for planting garlic in a couple more weeks.  I will leave the volunteer tomatillo plants and hope to harvest a few more of them before the first frost.  My facebook memory from last year said we were anticipating three nights of frost in a row.  Our lowest so far has been in the lower 40s.

One of the young cull cockerels must be Houdini.  I keep finding him out in spite of the netting to protect them from the hawk.  He must be flying over the gate and enjoying his days free ranging.  Some nights I find him perched on the egg door of the coop and have to collect him and return him to the safety of the coop for the night.  Some nights he finds his way back in on his own.  He better enjoy his freedom, because he is only a couple short weeks from a permanent vacation in freezer camp.

After the Spinzilla competition, I have only been spinning at the two outdoor events.  The Bridge Day event ended up being a front page article with photographs in our local paper.  The picture doesn’t show how cold and windblown I was.  Today’s Harvest Festival at the historic Smithfield Plantation House was fun.  It wasn’t well advertised, so not too well attended, but the folks that did come enjoyed fresh pressed cider, music; could take a dance lesson; buy a pumpkin or some gourds; watch the blacksmith ply his trade; the weaver working on a small loom, making a belt or strap; and me spinning.


Though I was the spinning demonstration, I was in the pavilion behind the house and not in the Weaver’s Cottage this time and had the opportunity to not only spin and discuss the fiber art, but I got to vend.  In spite of the poor turnout, I sold some soap, salve, beard products, and a handspun, handknit hat.  I am 4 ounces closer to having enough yarn to make my sweater, still spinning Priscilla the Leicester Longwool.

My next spinning demonstration will again be at the Smithfield House for the Halloween activities on October 28 with pumpkin bowling, a historic hayride, and other activities.

Jim got to take an overnight trip with his HOG group, a handful of bikes and folks rode most of the state of North Carolina to watch motorcycle drag racing.  I am still awaiting his return home and as it has been dark for an hour now, I start to fret over his safety.  They were 3 hours and 40 minutes from home and didn’t leave for home until 3:30, so it is just in the range where he should be getting here.

Leave a Reply