Another rainy week and a week that I struggled a bit with a pulled chest muscle and spent more time indoors preparing for yesterday’s demonstration of Newport Past and Present than I did on the garden. With that behind me and today being alternately sunny and showery, I decided that the seedlings needed my attention regardless of any other issues.
The areas that we weeded last weekend were already showing a return of Lamb’s Quarter, smart weed, and grasses. An hour with the hoe and the 14 tomatoes were free of weeds, the area that was designated for the peppers, also cleared. I managed to get 22 pepper plants in the ground. All but three of them of the hot to fiery varieties, Jalapenos, Habeneros, Anaheims, Thai Hot, Tabasco, and one Hungarian Black. With them were two green bell peppers and one purple bell pepper. Three comfrey plants were also added. They were mulched with matted, wet and rotting hay during and between rain showers.
Cabbages and chard are thriving, the second planting of peas in need of something to climb, the first planting at the top of their fence. Garlic is about to produce scapes.
I am excited that the Asian Pears and Apple trees have fruit. Not as much as last year due to the late frost, but at least we will have some.
The week’s weather is supposed to be warmer and drier, so perhaps I will finally get the bush beans, cucumbers, and summer squash planted. I need help weeding the lower garden and soon we will get the three sisters planted. The sweet potatoes are sprouting and will be rooted and planted within the next couple of weeks. I still have some flowers, the sunflowers and marigolds to plant and the basil tucked in. Soon it will be maintenance, watching the plants grow and produce and enjoying the benefits of the work.
There are now two broody hens. One is on 9 eggs that I know of. The other is on an unknown number and I am leaving them alone. We should see the first chicks around Memorial day weekend and the others by June 11 or 12. I spent some time beginning to erect a chick pen of plastic chicken wire to contain and protect the hens and their babies around the brooder coop. Once they hatch, they will be moved over there. I still need to build a ramp to the door of that coop. I wish that the hens would have allowed me to move them and their nests to that coop to sit the eggs, but that didn’t work out.
Now it is raining buckets full on the newly planted seedlings. It is thundering, so my planting is concluded for the day.