Today was sunny and cooler, so Daughter and I decided to tackle the fencing after we did groceries. Our chain market has discount day for seniors on Tuesday, so we try to schedule the big grocery runs on Tuesday and make sure we check the weekly ad, load digital coupons and cut out other coupons prior to the trip into town. They also periodically send out coupon packets to card holders based on prior purchases and items that you buy frequently will occasionally pop up with a free coupon. I had just gotten a packet a few days ago and it had coupons for free crackers and free bacon, plus others for organic vegetables, salsa and chips. Though we spent a couple hundred dollars this week, we saved $75, so we did well.
As for the fencing, sections were moved, leaving one fence from the back of the chicken tractor pen and going around 3 sides of the garden, minus a gate area wide enough for the John Deere if it is needed inside. The 4th side, from the hens coop over to the corner will expand the garden by about half again, encompassing the area where we removed the bins last weekend.
The task involved setting a few new T posts and some temporary garden posts that will be replaced with T posts. That northern section is chicken proof, but not pretty as it is two sections of garden fencing and 1 section of welded wire fencing spliced together until I can buy another 25 foot roll and the new T posts. The temporary “gate” is 3 foot welded wire fencing secured on one end and attached to a spike post that can be pulled up to create a hole to enter. The gate has to be wide enough for the tractor to enter, but also must be of a nature that will keep the chickens out. Most farm gates don’t have the wire fencing on a gate that wide, so I haven’t decided how to handle that. Maybe we can use two narrower gates that meet in the middle that will allow us to open just one for human traffic or both for the traffic. Most of the electric fencing was restrung, but for one section, so it is currently turned off. It primarily keeps the dogs out of the area where the chicken are and they don’t know it isn’t on. They are afraid of it on or off having each been stung a time or two. Once the garden was fully enclosed, the chickens got turned loose to forage and they are happy again. They did promptly dig up some bulbs and dig a hole in one of my flower beds, so a 2 foot high plastic poultry net fence was erected around one bed. It needs to be carried on across the front of the house, but I need stakes to do it.
The deck is sitting friendly again, the flower pots planted with red Geraniums and red Lantana to attract our friendly Hummingbird. The bird visits because of the red in the umbrella and cushions and finds the red flowers. Eventually the perennials in the front will bloom and the little Hummer will visit both sides of the house, looking for dinner.
Now it is time to return to weeding and loosening the soil to finish planting and getting the spoiled hay down as mulch. We have a couple more pleasant days in store, so maybe I will get on that task.