This is a quick knit in spite of the colorwork.
Size woman’s 8″ circumference, 10.5″ length
1 skein Black Aran weight wool
12 yards Off white worsted or Aran weight wool
12 yards Gray worsted or Aran weight wool
8 yards Red wine worsted or Aran weight wool
Size US 7 circ or DPNs or size to get gauge
Yarn bobbins (optional), if using yarn bobbins, wind white, gray, and red yarns on bobbins.
Gauge is 10 st X 14 rows = 2 inches in St st
- With black yarn, cast on 40 stitches using a stretchy cast on such as long tail. Place marker and join in the round being careful not to twist stitches.
- Knit 4 rows of 1 X 1 rib
- Rows 1-3: Join white and begin pattern; *Knit 3 white, 1 black* repeat to end of round.
Drop white and cut yarn leaving enough tail to weave in later.
- Rows 4-6: Join gray and work pattern;
- K 1 gray, *K1 black, 3 gray* repeat to last three stitches in round, K1 black, K2 gray
Drop gray and cut yarn.
- Rows 7-9: Join red and work pattern for 3 rows;*K3 red, K1 black* repeat to end of round.
Drop red, cut yarn.
- Rows 10-12: Join gray and repeat rows 4-6. Drop gray and cut yarn.
- Rows 13-15: Join white and repeat rows 1-3. Drop white and cut yarn.
Remainder of mitt will be knit in black.
Work in stockinette for 2″.
Place first 7 stitches onto scrap yarn or flexible stitch hoder for thumb. CO7 stitches and knit to end of round.
Continue to work in stockinette for 5.5″.
To shape the top of the mitt, follow the next two rows 3 times.
*K2tog* repeat to end of round
Cut yarn leaving a tail. Thread through the remaining stitches, pull tight, secure and weave in end on wrong side.
- Make thumb:
- Place stitches from yarn onto needle, pick up 9 stitches on sides and top of opening for a total of 16 stitches. Knit stockinette for 2″.
Next round, K2tog around, cut yarn and thread through remaining stitches, draw tight, secure and weave in end on wrong side.
- Weave in ends from cuff.
- Colorwork hint: while working cuff, twist the two working colors every two stitches.
Copywrite 2012 Fran Stafford